This recipe was adapted from Kook en Geniet and is a guaranteed favourite, warm or cold, on the tea table or for dessert.
2 cups (500ml) milk
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 cup (62 ml) sugar
3 table spoons (37 ml) cake flour
1 table spoon (12.5 ml) corn starch (maizena)
1/4 tea spoon (1 ml) salt
2 table spoons (25 ml) butter
3 eggs (separate yolk and white)
Puff pastry (buy pre-rolled, frozen and thaw)
- Preheat oven to 425 degreed F (220 C)
- Boil milk with cinnamon stick in
- Beat egg white until stiff and frothy
- Mix sugar, flour, constarch, salt
- Add warm mik slowly while stirring with wooden spoon (be careful not to create lumps)
- Bring it to a slow boil and stir continuously for 5 minutes until it is thick and cooked (consistency of porridge)
- Remove from heat, remove cinnamon stick and let mixture cool slightly
- Beat the egg yolks and add
- Fold egg white in until it is blended through
- Line pie dish with puff pastry
- Add filling.
- Bake for 20 minutes in hot oven at 425 degrees F and reduce heat to 375 degrees F after the first 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let it cool slightly and sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the baked filling.
- Serve warm.
(Can also be served cold and can be frozen and warmed up again before serving.)