Elizabeth served this with Blueberry French toast. Two wonderful dishes that can be prepared ahead of time.
• 8 bacon strips, diced
• 1/4 cup crushed cornflakes
• 5 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1/2 cup small curd cottage cheese
• 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
• 1 green onion, sliced
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
• 2 1/2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings. Stir reserved drippings into cornflakes; set aside. in a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, onion, salt and pepper until blended. Stir in hash browns. Pour into a greased 9-in. pie plate. Sprinkle with bacon and the cornflake mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting.
For a little healthier version I used Turkey Bacon cooked and crumbled and no cornflakes
I used only 1 cup cheddar and added ½ c parmesan cheese (real shredded not the kraft green tub stuff)
You can also use egg substitutes if you are watching your cholesterol and low fat cheese to reduce fat.