This recipe is very close to the famous Cape Seed Loaf. Would love to hear from anyone who has a recipe that is closer to the original.
500 g whole wheat flour
85 g sunflower seeds
50 g pumpkin seeds
25 g poppy seeds
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
1 tsp (5 ml) dry yeast
1 tbsp(15 ml)sugar
2 tbsps (30 ml) sunflower oil
350 ml lukewarm water
1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees F (180 degrees C)
- Mix flour, salt, seeds, yeast, sugar in a bowl.
- Pour water and oil in and mix, knead for about a minute.
- Place dough in a greased loaf pan (8 x 4 inch)
- Brush with egg and decorate with alternate lines of sesame and poppy seeds
- Cover dough with a tea towel in a warm spot and let it rise for 30 = 60 minutes.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
Try a slice with honey and goats’ cheese or partridgeberry jam and cheddar cheese!