1 kg ground beef
1 slice of bread
250 ml (1 cup) milk
12.5 ml (1 tablespoon) curry powder
18.5 ml (1 1/2 tablespoons) sugar
10 ml (2 teaspoons) salt
2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) pepper
6 ml (1/2 tablespoon) turmeric
25 ml (2 tablespoons) vinegar or juice of 1 lemon
6 almonds quartered (or small handful of almond slivers)
125 ml (1/2 cup) pitted raisins
4 bay leaves or grated peel of one lemon
37.5 ml (3 tablespoons) chutney or apricot jam
- Peel onions, slice thinly and brown in hot oil, butter or lard. Add ground beef and brown the beef with the onions.
- Soak the bread in the milk and squeeze milk out again. Crumble the bread.
- Mix all ingredients except one egg, 1/2 cup milk and bay leaves.
- Add mixture to a greased ovenproof dish and poke the bay leaves upright into the mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Mix rest of egg and remaining 125 ml (1/2 cup) milk and pour over meat mixture half an hour before taking it out of the oven.
- Serve with rice, chutney, sliced banana, plain yoghurt and a sambal of cubed fresh tomato, chopped onion and white vinegar.