This amazing recipe is a staple at Tineke Gow’s Campbell House and the Artisan Inn in Trinity, Newfoundland. It has topped off many an amazing meal in the Twine Loft.
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup yellow corn meal
6 tbsp. icing sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 large eggs
1/2 cup of sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. lemon zest
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. milk (Tineke recommends whole milk)
2 cups of wild blueberries (10 oz)
3 tbsp. apricot jam, heated and strained
To make crust –
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a buttered 8 inch square glass baking dish with 2 sheets of foil, overlapping them in opposite directions so there is overhang on all four sides.
- Pulse together flour, cornmeal, salt, icing sugar and butter until mixture resembles course meal.
- Press into bottom of baking dish and 1 inch up the sides. Bake in the middle of the oven until golden brown, about 20 min.
Make filling while crust bakes –
- Whisk together eggs, sugar, flour and zest.
- Whisk in the juices, mlk and a pinch of salt.
- Toss blueberries with jam into another bowl.
- Whisk egg mixture and immediately pour into crust.
- Bake until set, about 17 minutes.
- Gently spoon berries evenly over top and bake 2 minutes more.
- Transfer baking dish to a rack and cool.
- Drizzle with a little Grand Marnier. (Or Vanderhum)
- Chill overnight. Use foil to lift out of dish and cut into squares.
Tineke’s team services it on a beautiful glass plate, with a bit of sifted powder sugar and a few miniature pansy flowers from her garden as garnish.