- 10 medium sweet red pepper(s), halved, seeded and cored
- 1 tsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 cup(s), chopped uncooked onion(s)
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large uncooked sweet potato(es), peeled and diced
- 2 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 leaf/leaves bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika, smoked
- 2 Tbsp plain low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
Spread peppers in a single layer, skin-side up, on prepared baking sheets; broil, one pan at a time, until skins are blistered and blackened, about 10 to 15 minutes. Wrap up peppers tightly in foil; set aside about 10 minutes, to steam and for skins to loosen. When peppers are cool enough to handle, remove blackened pepper skin with your hands (discard skin); coarsely chop peppers.
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and 1 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add sweet potato, roasted peppers, broth, bay leaf, cumin and paprika; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover pan and simmer until sweet potato is soft, about 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf; stir in yogurt, honey and remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
Remove from heat and puree soup in pot using an immersion blender (or puree in a regular blender in batches). Serve garnished with fresh oregano. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.