Scott and Ivan from Banberry House gave me this recipe in 1998 and it remains a favourite. Similar to the Blueberry French Toast recipe.
1 large loaf of white bread
3 cups of milk
3/4 cup of sugar, divided
1 1/4 tablespoon vanilla
5 Granny Smith apples
3 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray 9 x 13 pan with vegetable oil spray (Pam).
- Place bread slightly together in one layer in the pan.
- Beat eggs lightly, ad milk, 1/4 cup of sugar, nutmeg, vanilla and whisk.
- Peel, core and slice apples into rings.
- Place apple rings on top of bread to cover.
- Pour remaining egg mixture over apples.
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup of sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over apples.
- Dot with butter.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Cool for 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
My friend Elizabeth made this delicious dish for a pre-Christmas brunch get-together and was very kind to share the recipe:
• 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, diced
• 1 cup blueberries
• 12 eggs
• 2 cups milk
• 1/3 cup maple syrup
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• 1 (1 pound) loaf Italian bread, with ends removed and discarded cut slices into 1 inch cubes
• 1 cup white sugar
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1 cup water
• 1 cup blueberries
• 1 tablespoon butter
- Place half of the bread cubes in a lightly greased 9×13 inch baking pan. Sprinkle cream cheese on top of bread cubes. Top with 1 cup blueberries and remaining bread. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk and maple syrup. Pour egg mixture over bread. Cover pan and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, remove pan from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Uncover pan and bake for an additional 30 minutes, until golden brown and center is set.
- To make Sauce: In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch, add water. Boil over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in blueberries and reduce heat. Simmer 8 to 10 minutes, or until the berries have burst. Stir in butter until melted. Serve the sauce over squares of french toast.
I actually spread the cream cheese on the bread slices and then cut them.
Much easier and better evenness of the cheese.
I reduced the eggs to 9 and Milk to 1.5 cups
For a little healthier version:
I didn’t make the sauce but used E.D. Smith no calorie maple syrup
Use low fat cream cheese and egg substitutes