This recipe is from Chef Denise King who made this winning dessert during the 2016 Unscripted Twillingate Digital Arts Festival‘s From the Bog and the Bay Feast at the Anchor Inn Hotel / Georgie’s Restaurant.
(approx. 8 servings)
- 1 pound black currants
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream (35%)
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Cook currants with sugar over a medium heat until berries start to break down and become slightly thick and chunky, 15-20 mins. At this point you can either leave the berries as they are or puree with a hand blender and strain. Pureeing will give you a more uniform color.
- Whip cream until it holds a medium-stiff peak.
- Gently whisk in condensed milk until completely blended.
- Fold in the black currants/currant puree
- Transfer to a parchment paper lined loaf pan and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours. Best to leave overnight.
To serve, either use an Ice Cream scoop or remove from pan and cut into slices.
Any berry will work!