This tasty soup is inspired by a Weightwatchers recipe and is about 2 points on their Freestyle eating plan.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup(s), chopped uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper(s), seeded and minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 6 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 15 oz canned diced tomatoes, fire roasted, drained
- 20 oz uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast (can also be replaced with a block of firm cubed tofu)
- 1/3 cup(s) fresh lime juice
- 1 cup(s) cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup(s) reduced fat Mexican style blend shredded cheese, (about 6 Tbsp)
- 12 tortilla chips
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot set over medium heat.
- Add onion and salt and cook for 5-10 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Add garlic, jalapeno, and and chili powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes, chicken breasts, and lime juice.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, covered for 20 minutes or until chicken breasts are cooked through.
- Remove breasts from soup and use 2 forks to shred. Return chicken to pot with cilantro.
- Serve soup garnished with cheese and tortilla chips.
- No Salt Added (Knorr Soup Base contains salt)
- Used on Main Menu
- NO savoury is added to seafood chowder
2 Bunches of Celery
2 White Onion
8 – 10 Carrots
1/2 pack Knorr White Sauce Mix
8 Cups of Water
2 Liters Cream
Pepper to taste
Seafood (2 large shrimp, 2 scallops, cod and salmon trimmings) per serving
For Chowder Base
- Dice and sautee celery, carrots, onions with small amount of oil until tender.
- Mix water and Knorr White Sauce Mix and add to vegetables
- Bring to a light boil
- Add potatoes and cream
For Individual Portion
- Steam Seafood (2 large shrimp, 2 scallops, cod and salmon trimmings) in a little white wine
- Add chowder base to finish, bring to a simmer and dish
- Garnish with 1 cooked mussel in the shell
This recipe came from Devin’s family and is more-ish.
4 racks of baby back ribs (each 1 1/2 lbs)
6 tbsp. BBQ Spice (Robertson’s Braai Spice works well)
2 onions, sliced
4 cloves of garlic
4 375 ml cans of root beer
t tbsp. root beer essence or vanilla
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup root beer
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp Worcester sauce
salt to taste
(If short on ingredients, a bottled BBQ sauce works too – I tried the Diana’s brand recently)
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Using a sharp knife, score the membrane of the backside of the ribs in a diamond pattern. Season the ribs with BBQ spice, pressing the spice into the meat.
- Spread the onions and garlic in a roasting pan. Lay the ribs meat side down on top of the onion mixture.
- Stir together the root beer and root beer essence; pour ove the ribs. Cover lightly with lid or foil.
- Braise for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar, root beer, cilantro, water, Worcester sauce and salt.
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- Grill ribs for 6 to 8 minutes per side or until lightly charred, basting frequently with the sauce.
- Cut between every third rib and serve.
Ingredients:1 kg ground beef
1 large onion
1 slice of bread
250 ml (1 cup) milk
12.5 ml (1 tablespoon) curry powder
18.5 ml (1 1/2 tablespoons) sugar
10 ml (2 teaspoons) salt
2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) pepper
6 ml (1/2 tablespoon) turmeric
25 ml (2 tablespoons) vinegar or juice of 1 lemon
6 almonds quartered (or small handful of almond slivers)
125 ml (1/2 cup) pitted raisins
4 bay leaves or grated peel of one lemon
37.5 ml (3 tablespoons) chutney or apricot jam
- Peel onions, slice thinly and brown in hot oil, butter or lard. Add ground beef and brown the beef with the onions. Strain any fat off the cooked beef.
- Soak the bread in the milk and squeeze milk out again. Crumble the bread.
- Mix all ingredients except one egg, 1/2 cup milk and bay leaves.
- Add mixture to a greased ovenproof dish and poke the bay leaves upright into the mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Mix rest of egg and remaining 125 ml (1/2 cup) milk and pour over meat mixture and bake for another half hour.
- Serve with rice, chutney, sliced banana, plain yoghurt and a sambal of cubed fresh tomato, chopped onion and white vinegar.
Chopped fresh rosemary
Peeled fresh garlic cloves
- Wipe meat with a clean cloth.
- Poke a few holes and stuff with peeled garlic cloves.
- Chop fresh rosemary and roll meat in herbs. ( I don’t add salt and pepper but it is an option.)
- Roast in pan on an open rack at 325 degrees F. (20 minutes for every 200g + 20 minutes.)
- Carve into thin slices and serve with mint sauce or fruit glaze.
3/4 cup of pitted prunes
3/4 cup of dried apricots
1 cup of water
1 tbsp of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer gently for 10 minutes until the apricots have softened.
- 10 minutes before end if cooking, pour glaze over meat.
- Baste frequently during this time.
- Remove net, slice and serve.
This recipe originates from Huisgenoot Wenresepte 3 and was adapted for Canadian ingredients.
Frozen puff pastry or unsweetened shortcrust pastry 2 mid-sizeround pie dishes (pyrex) or a deeper square dish
1 packet of white/brown onion soup powder (In SA Pick n Pay No Name Brand works well)
250 ml sour cream
500 g fresh spinach (or 1 to 2 cups of frozen drained chopped spinach)
1 chopped onion
10 ml sunflower or olive oil
1 container (250g) smooth cottage cheese (use 1 250g tub of Philadelphia plain cream cheese)
3 eggs (beaten) salt, pepper and mustard to taste (both English mustard and dijon are lovely)
250 ml grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Line pie dishes with pastry
- Mix soup powder and sour cream and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Wash spinach, place it wet in a large pot, cover and stem over medium heat until soft without adding any liquid. Take out, cut out hard stems and chop the rest of the leaves up. Skip this step if frozen spinach is used. Thaw spinach in stead and drain.
- Sautee onions in oil and blend with spinach.
- Add cottage/cream cheese, eggs, salt, pepper. mustard and 2/3 of cheddar cheese and blend well.
- Spoon the mixture into two pie dishes.
- Sprinkle the rest of the grated cheese on top.
- Bake pies 40 to 50 minutes until cooked.