*Gluten free, vegetarian & delicious! Can be made as a frosted cake or brownies. (Can also be made in advance, wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen.)
2/3 cup (160 ml) white golden quinoa uncooked
1 2/3 cups (330 ml) water
1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
4 large eggs
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
3/4 cup (185 ml) butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) white sugar
1 cup (250 ml) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp (7.5 ml) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) baking soda
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- Cook Quinoa. Cook for an extra 10 minutes to ensure it is very soft. Fluff and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Grease (two 8-inch) pans and line with parchment paper.
- Combine milk, eggs and vanilla in a blender/food processor.
- Add 2 cups cooked quinoa and butter. Blend until smooth.
- Whisk together the sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the blender contents and mix well.
- Divide the batter evenly. Bake on centre rack for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven; cool and cut in pan before removing. Frost if desired (not needed).
- If using it as a round cake, turn each pan carefully onto a cooling rack (don’t cut). Frost layers once it is cooled – either as a single or a double layer cake.
- Store in fridge for a week or freezer for a month (It thaws quickly!).
- ENJOY! (Try not to eat the whole batch)