This recipe comes from Gamidah Jacobs from Lekka Kombuis in the Bo Kaap in Cape Town. It is an easy and relatively quick recipe.
4 potatoes cooked and mashed
4 cups of flour
15 ml cinnamon
10 ml ginger
5 ml fine aniseed
10 ml whole aniseed
5 ml cardamon
60 ml sugar
60 ml oil
113.4 g butter (1/4 lb)
250 ml (CUP) milk
1 pkt yeast (10 gr)
- In the bowl with your mashed potatoes, add all the spices.
- Warm the milk with the butter until the butter is melted.
- Add all the other ingredients and knead it for about 10 mins until light and fluffy. (If it is sticky, add more flour…)
- Leave it till it has risen double for about 2 hours.
- Roll dough into balls about 1.5 inches in diameter. Pull each ball slightly to elongate the ball. Let it rise a little more.
- Cook in oil (deep fry) until golden brown. Oil should not be smoking hot
- Place them in the sugar syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
- Boil the syrup until sticky
- Add the koeksisters
Boil until soft and take it out
- Roll koeksisters in coconut
- If the syrup becomes too sticky, add a little bit of water.