This was possibly my favourite recipe from last Christmas, originally from Sarie, 10 November 1993.
Yield: 20 cookies
125 g butter
1/2 cup (125 ml) icing sugar
1 t (5 ml) vanilla
1 cup (250 ml) self-raising flour (see substitute)
1/2 (125 ml) cup cornstarch
2 t ( 10 ml) grated lemon peel
1 t milk
4 T (60 ml) cream cheese (or smooth cottage cheese)
2 T (30 ml) castor sugar (or regular Canadian sugar)
1/2 t (2.5 ml) grated lemon peel
2 T (30 ml) chopped sultanas
1 t (5 ml) egg yolk
- Cream butter and sugar till light and creamy
- Add flour, cornstarch and lemon peel.
- Mix well. Add milk if needed.
- Wrap dough in cling wrap and leave in fridge to rest
- Roll dough to a thickness of 3 mm and press circles of about 60 mm in diameter
- Filling: Blend cream cheese, sugar and peel. Add sultanas and egg yolk.
- Spoon half a spoon of filling in centre of each circle.
- Place a second circle on top and press the edges together with a fork.
- Place on greased cookie sheet and brush with egg yolk.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes in preheated oven at 180 degrees C (350 degrees F)