The English name (Brandy Tart) for this decadent recipe is way more accurate than the Afrikaans name … Christmas will not be the same without this recipe – but it is great for any time of year.
250 g (1/2 lb) dates
5 ml (t teaspoon) bicarbonate of soda
250 ml (1 cup) boiling water
125 ml (1/2 cup) butter
250 ml (1 cup) sugar
500 ml (2 cups) flour
5 ml (1 teaspoon) baking powder
2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) salt
250 ml (1 cup) chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- Chop dates into small pieces.
- Add bicarb. to hot water and add half of the dates, stir and let cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar and add eggs one by one. Mix well.
- Sift dry ingredients and fold into butter mixture.
- Add dry dates and nuts and then the date/bicarbonate of soda mixture. Mix well.
- Scoop the mixture into two pie dishes with diameter of 22 cm (9 inches) or into one square ovenproof dish.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 180 degrees C / 350 degrees F.
- Pour warm syrup carefully over tart when it comes out of the oven.
- Serve warm or cold with whipped or scald cream.
312 ml (1 1/4 cup) sugar
12.5 ml (1 tablespoon) butter
187 ml (3/4 cup) water
5 ml (1 teaspoon) vanilla
Pinch of salt
125 ml (1/2 cup) brandy
- Boil first three ingredients together for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and add vanilla, salt and brandy. Stir well.