Scott and Ivan from Banberry House gave me this recipe in 1998 and it remains a favourite. Similar to the Blueberry French Toast recipe.
1 large loaf of white bread
3 cups of milk
3/4 cup of sugar, divided
1 1/4 tablespoon vanilla
5 Granny Smith apples
3 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray 9 x 13 pan with vegetable oil spray (Pam).
- Place bread slightly together in one layer in the pan.
- Beat eggs lightly, ad milk, 1/4 cup of sugar, nutmeg, vanilla and whisk.
- Peel, core and slice apples into rings.
- Place apple rings on top of bread to cover.
- Pour remaining egg mixture over apples.
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup of sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over apples.
- Dot with butter.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Cool for 5 – 10 minutes before serving.