This recipe came from Devin’s family and is more-ish.
4 racks of baby back ribs (each 1 1/2 lbs)
6 tbsp. BBQ Spice (Robertson’s Braai Spice works well)
2 onions, sliced
4 cloves of garlic
4 375 ml cans of root beer
t tbsp. root beer essence or vanilla
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup root beer
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp Worcester sauce
salt to taste
(If short on ingredients, a bottled BBQ sauce works too – I tried the Diana’s brand recently)
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Using a sharp knife, score the membrane of the backside of the ribs in a diamond pattern. Season the ribs with BBQ spice, pressing the spice into the meat.
- Spread the onions and garlic in a roasting pan. Lay the ribs meat side down on top of the onion mixture.
- Stir together the root beer and root beer essence; pour ove the ribs. Cover lightly with lid or foil.
- Braise for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar, root beer, cilantro, water, Worcester sauce and salt.
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- Grill ribs for 6 to 8 minutes per side or until lightly charred, basting frequently with the sauce.
- Cut between every third rib and serve.