75 g (80 ml) butter at room temperature
300 g (375 ml) castor sugar (or plain Canadian sugar which has a finer consistency)
250 g (450 ml) self raising flour (or 450 ml flour and 2 3/4 tsp baking powder)
2 ml salt
1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
grated peel of one lemon
Juice of two ripe, juicy lemons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C).
- Grease a loaf pan of about 25x 10 x 7 cm and line with wax paper.
- Cream butter, 250 ml (200g) of the sugar and eggs.
- Sift flour and salt.
- Blend the flour mixture and milk bit by bit with the egg mixture.
- Add lemon peel and mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf pan and bake for 45 to 60 minutes on centre shelf until cooked.
- Test with test pen in centre of loaf. It it comes out clean, the loaf is done.
- Mix remaining 125 ml (100g) sugar with lemon juice.
- Prick holes here and there into the loaf wth a fork as soon as it comes out of the oven
- Poor the lemon syrup slowly over the hot loaf and let it seep into the loaf.
- Leave it to cool in the pan.
- Take out of pan once cooled and remove wax paper carefully.
- Slice and serve.