This recipe originates from Huisgenoot Wenresepte 3 and was adapted for Canadian ingredients.
Frozen puff pastry or unsweetened shortcrust pastry 2 mid-sizeround pie dishes (pyrex) or a deeper square dish
1 packet of white/brown onion soup powder (In SA Pick n Pay No Name Brand works well)
250 ml sour cream
500 g fresh spinach (or 1 to 2 cups of frozen drained chopped spinach)
1 chopped onion
10 ml sunflower or olive oil
1 container (250g) smooth cottage cheese (use 1 250g tub of Philadelphia plain cream cheese)
3 eggs (beaten) salt, pepper and mustard to taste (both English mustard and dijon are lovely)
250 ml grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Line pie dishes with pastry
- Mix soup powder and sour cream and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Wash spinach, place it wet in a large pot, cover and stem over medium heat until soft without adding any liquid. Take out, cut out hard stems and chop the rest of the leaves up. Skip this step if frozen spinach is used. Thaw spinach in stead and drain.
- Sautee onions in oil and blend with spinach.
- Add cottage/cream cheese, eggs, salt, pepper. mustard and 2/3 of cheddar cheese and blend well.
- Spoon the mixture into two pie dishes.
- Sprinkle the rest of the grated cheese on top.
- Bake pies 40 to 50 minutes until cooked.