This is another traditional South African recipe from Kook en Geniet and is great served with coffee or tea or as a dessert. Contrary to traditional milk tart, this recipe does not need a puff pastry crust.
2 tbsp (25 ml) melted butter
3 eggs (white and yolk separated)
1/2 cups (125 ml) sugar
1 cup (250 ml) flour
1 t (5 ml) baking powder
1/4 tsp (1ml) salt
1 t (5ml) vanilla essence
3 cups (750 ml) milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Beat egg white until stiff and frothy
- Blend butter, yolks, sugar
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together and add to 3.
- Stir in milk and vanilla essence. Blend well. (Be careful to avoid lumps)
- Fold beaten egg whites in and pour the mixture into a deep pie dish.
- Bake immediately at 375F for 40 minutes or until the mixture is set.
- Serve warm.